Sunday, August 31, 2014

Must Have Been The Stender Coming Out

We had the Kuiper kids over last night and after the boys sacked out Jackie and I decided to teach Raleigh and Sydney how to play some card games.

Out first effort was crazy eights.  After 3 long games the score was Jackie 2, Sydney 1 with Raleigh and I shutout.  Next we advanced to a game that has many names but we called in I Doubt It.  Each time Jackie would lay a card or two face down I would smirk and Raleigh would interpret my smirk as proof that grandma did not lay what she was claiming to lay and poor Raleigh would end up with a fist full of cards.  Jackie won all three rounds of I Doubt It.

Then, feeling a little guilty I think, Jackie suggests that we lay all the cards out face down and play the memory game.  This sounds like a great idea to the girls and it's even OK with me, even though I have never been able to beat even a 3 year old at that game.

Raleigh starts out but alas, no match.  Sydney is next, but alas no match.  I am next and alas, no match.  Now it's Jackie's turn and she comes up with 4 matches, getting more excited with each.  Round two sees Raleigh with no matches, Sydney with no matches, me with no matches and Jackie with 4 more.  I started looking up because I thought I heard the hallelujah music playing.

In the next round Raleigh gets 1 match, Sydney is shut out, I come up with a wild card so I get a match, and Jackie does even better than before and gets 5 matches.  By this time she is standing up, one arm waving, scanning the table and snatching, snatching, snatching up winning matches.

I pause here for effect.

Just then Raleigh and Sydney come up with a great idea.  They start moving around all the remaining cards.  Jackie spurts out, "Hey, that's not the way the game is played!"  Raleigh and Sydney, still smiling very sweetly, reply in unison, "I think it is grandma."  After several more rounds with the girls mixing up the cards between each round, no one finds any more matches, the game ends, Raleigh, Sydney and I get up to check out what might be in the kitchen, and Jackie
stays seated, counting her matches.

Eventually the girls also go to sack out and Jackie and I play a little solitaire   Jackie looks up at me (after running the deck and playing all the cards), smiles sheepishly and confesses, "I guess I just didn't want the girls to think their grandma was stupid."  Stupid?  No.  A little competitive maybe?  Ask out kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment