Saturday, September 6, 2014

Ain't No Flies On Me

Oh, there ain't no flies on me
there ain't no flies on me
there may be flies on some of you guys
but there ain't no flies on me.

We have just rounded the corner and young Mario starts waving his hand at his head.  "I'm having a little trouble concentrating on my driving" he says.  "There is a dang fly buzzing me."  I  smile, lean back and tell him the honest truth;  "There ain't no flies on me!"

My younger sister Char loved this little ditty.  She went to an all women's college and taught her intramural football team how to terrify their opponents with the ain't no flies chant.

The poem actually has quite a few more classic verses.

A peanut sittin' on a railroad rail
His heart was all a flutter
Along came a Choo Choo on the track
Toot! Toot!  Peanut butter!

I first heard this verse from my very special nephew Kevin who would run around our house and entertain us with "Toot! Toot!  Pea  nut but ter!

Here are a couple more verses for your enjoyment.

Oh, it ain't gonna rain no more no more
It ain't gonna rain no more
How in the heck can I wash my neck
If it ain't gonna rain no more?

and finally

She lay down at the sewer
And by the sewer she died
And at the coroner's inquest
They called it sewer side.

As my dad would often say when hearing such inspiration (while holding his hand to his heart); "It kinda gets you, right here."

No comments:

Post a Comment